Tuesday 11 October 2011

Are you prepared for this disaster?

I am a bit of a disaster. I can't stay organized worth my life, my room is never neat for more than 2 consecutive days, and I am horrible at making decisions. A constant contradiction, I am a hopeless romantic and insanely logical, feminine yet tomboy-ish, creative but horrible with art. I go from calm and collected to a passionate fanatic in seconds. I am a whirlwind of activity, always juggling too many things, whether it be school, work, family,friends, fitness classes or volunteering. Always on the brink of insanity.

Is it weird that I want to be an emergency manager?

I love natural disasters: volcanoes, tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, you name it! But no, I do not want to spend the rest of my life studying rocks or watching the readings of a seismograph. I need to work with people. I see all the pictures and hear all the stories of people who have lost everything within seconds because of a natural phenomenon. They lost their families, their homes, their jobs. It isn't fair. And I'm all about justice, let me tell you. Therefore I take it upon myself to change this. No, I am not capable of holding back a tsunami or stopping a hurricane in its tracks, but there are policies, plans and efforts that can be made at different levels to prevent, mitigate, prepare for, respond to, and recover from an emergency situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment